Jobs & Careers at Abbey Farms
Abbey Farms is a great place to work - at least we think so! Either for your first job during one of our seasonal operations or work with our small dedicated full-time team! There is always something happening at Abbey Farms! Join our family and work at a company named Best Family Value, Best Family Recreation and Best Entertainment Venue by the Daily Heralds Readers Choice Best of the Best! Abbey Farms is a non-profit farm run for the benefit of Marmion Abbey - a Catholic monastic community in Aurora IL.
Pumpkin Daze - Part Time, Seasonal
Abbey Farms is accepting applications for part time and seasonal farm labor. Seasonal operations to begin September through December.
Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather including attractions oversight, ticket booth operations, kitchen (qualifications required), store and more.
Must be able to communicate professionally and respectfully and work in a team setting.
Must show an ability and willingness to learn.
Previous work experience working with the public is a plus not required.
Jobs may include physical labor including general ‘farm’ work that can be physical in nature, possible operation of tractors and farm equipment. Every effort to work in a safe environment must be made.
$11 per hour up to 40 hours per week. Minimum of 15 hours per week required. Weekdays and/or Weekend shifts available. Must be able to work a minimum of 15 hours a week with a commitment for the entire Pumpkin Daze Season, September 18 - October 31.
Time off requests must be submitted and approved 2 weeks prior to any planned absense. Each employee will be required to find an alternate employee to work their shift. Without approval or an alternate employee, each employee must show for their scheduled shifts.
General Description and Basic Function:
The Staff Accountant & Office Manager works under the guidance of the Chief Operating & Information Officer for Abbey Farms and Executive Director of Finance for Marmion by providing support for timely and accurate preparation of financial statement reports in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles. The Staff Accountant & Office Manager is a part-time position. Weekly hours will vary depending on season with a year-round average of 10 hours per week.
- Assist the Executive Director of Finance with the month-end closing process by:
- Reconciling general ledger accounts
- Analyzing sales and sales tax reports
- Preparing bank account reconciliations
- Posting of journal entries
- Analyzing financial data for reasonableness and completeness
- Maintain internal financial controls as established by the Executive Director of Finance
- Provide support to the Executive Director of Finance during the annual audit preparation by fulfilling auditor requests to provide documents/reports/statements and prepare schedules
- Provide support to the Chief Operating & Information Officer during the budget process
- Prepare sales tax returns
- Code and process bank deposits
- Prepare and reconcile cash bags for seasonal events and retail store
- Reconcile petty cash and record related expenses
- Process all vendor invoices for payment with accurate account coding
- Reconcile credit card activity
- Calculate and post inventory adjustments semi-annually
- Assist in various special projects
- Future Office Manager Role:
- Assist the COO and OM with any necessary administrative duties
- Oversee the 3 Abbey Farms buildings and ensure properly outfitted
- Ensures a safe, secure, and legal work environment
- Assisting OM with seasonal hiring and year-round management of online worker database.
- Assist with fundraising operations organization.
- Manage team building events.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Previous accounting work experience is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with Square POS and QuickBooks accounting software is a plus
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Independent self-starter
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and courteously with colleagues and constituents
Works with: Operations Manager, Farm Manager & Seasonal Staff
Compensation: $22-$30 per hour
Reports to: Operations Manager
The Kitchen Supervisor will effectively supervise and manage all kitchen operations; optimizing profits by controlling food costs, production, labor and increase sales through food quality, speed of service and accurately prepared food. You’re work directly impacts how the guest feels about their experience.
Specific responsibilities of the Kitchen Supervisor include:
- Manages operations during scheduled shifts that include daily decision-making, staff support, guest interaction, planning while upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
- Trains and develops hourly team members through ongoing feedback and coaching, establishment of performance expectations.
- Prepares high-quality food items according to standardized recipes.
- Cook menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff.
- Frequently interacts with guests to ensure they receive a great Abbey Farms experience; follow up on any issues and complaints they may have.
- Carefully observes kitchen operations and addresses any issues out of alignment promptly and directly.
- Identifies operational opportunities to build sales and control costs; develop and implement plans to address opportunities.
- Ensures food quality by maintaining high levels of cleanliness, organization, storage, sanitation of food products
- Coaches and develops talent.
- Demonstrates responsibility for purchasing, receiving, and storing food products, inspection of local suppliers, use of correct products and proper par levels to minimize food waste and optimize food cost
- Maintains inventory, and ordering needs with Operations Manager.
- Fosters open communication with kitchen and other Abbey Farms Managers.
You take the guest experience seriously. Kitchen Supervisor possess superb communication and customer service skills. You will be connecting with a diverse customer base and motivating a top-performing team. Our ideal Kitchen Supervisor is a flexible and customer-focused employee who enjoys developing a team. You must love how what you do affects how well everyone else can do their job to satisfy our guests.
Specific requirements for the Kitchen Supervisor include:
- Some Culinary School required. Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a Kitchen Supervisor with extensive knowledge of restaurant operations. 3 years preferred.
- Previous kitchen experience.
- Must be able to walk and stand during entire shift.
- Frequent bending and stooping required.
- Must be able to read and write English.
- Must be able to hear well amongst loud background noise.
- Must bring some joy to the job that inspires others.
Compensation: $18-$25 per hour